SEARCH MY BLOG

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Avengers Character Analysis Part 1.

As stated in my previous Avengers review. I will be analysing each character and what they contributed to the overall movie and my favorite parts of the movie they were in.
Warning Complete Spoilers for The Avengers movie, if you have not seen The Avengers Click Here to read my spoiler free review and then go to the theater and watch The Avengers. Then come back and read this post.




Captain America


Captain America has always been my favorite Avenger. He was introduced with "Punching bag" scene, which we saw a glimpse of during the end of Captain America: The First Avenger. Cap was portrayed very well and I like that he did give orders and was the leader of the team during the epic battle at the end. Chris Evan's performance was even better than his performance in Captain America: The First Avenger. He had a very commanding presence and still had that old fashioned soldier mentality but he is still adjusting to the modern world. When he was ordering the team and he came around to Hulk and said "Hulk..........Smash!", that was hilarious and worked great. I also really liked his line when Thor dropped in and grabbed Loki. Then Black Widow said "But their basically gods!", Cap replies "Ma'am, there's only One God, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." Not only does Captain America have a great moral code he is most likely Christian from that quote. The costume looked a lot better in the movie than in the trailer and screen stills. It actually good but it still looked better when he did not wear the helmet.

Quotes:
"All right, listen up! Until we can close that portal up there, what we need is containment. Barton: I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark: you've got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash. Thor: you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal, slow them down. You've got the lightning - light the b*stards up" *Turns to Black Widow: "You and me: we stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here. And Hulk: smash!

"Ma'am, there's only one God, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."
"Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you? "
"You came here with a mission, sir, trying to get me back to the world?"
"I've been asleep for 70 years. I think I've had enough rest."



 Iron Man
 
Iron Man is easily the most popular of The Avengers and did have slightly more dialogue than the other members of the team but the amount of actual screen time is about the same. Robert Downy Jr. was, as always, excellent as Tony Stark. He really owns the role. Although he was still kind of a jerk, Tony was much less of one in The Avengers compared to Iron Man 2. For those who do not think of Tony as a hero, although I always have, he proved it in The Avengers almost giving his life for the city of New York. The scene did lose a little tension since there is going to be an Iron Man 3 movie but I thought it could have left his fate unknown until Iron Man 3.

Quotes:
"[to Bruce Banner] You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"
"We have a Hulk."
"You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark, please leave a message."
"You're missing the point! There's no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be d*mned well sure we'll avenge it!"
"[to Captain America] You might have missed a couple things, y'know, doing time as a Capsicle."
"[to Bruce Banner] You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"
"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist."
"[Discussing S.H.I.E.L.D] An intelligence agency that *fears* intelligence? Historically, not awesome."
"Better clench up, Legolas."
"Shakespeare in the park?"
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"




Thor
























Chris Hemsworth was great as Thor again. He had great moments with Loki, trying to convince to come back with him. His fight with Hulk was amazing, Thor's fighting style was more agile and the way he used Mjolnir was perfect. Before the movie I was really wondering how Thor was going to join since he was in Asgard but it was done very well. Some are complaining that it was not explain enough how Thor is sent back to Earth but what Loki said, which I cannot remember exactly was he said, was enough explanation.


Quote:
"You people are so petty... and tiny."
Thor: He has an army, called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract.
Steve Rogers: An army. From outer space.
Bruce Banner: So he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for.
Thor: Selvig?
Bruce Banner: He's an astrophysicist.
Thor: He's a friend.
Natasha Romanoff: Loki has them under some kind of spell. Along with one of ours.
Steve Rogers: I wanna know why Loki let us take him. He's not leading an army from here.
Bruce Banner: I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats. You can smell crazy on him.
Thor: Have a care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard. And he is my brother.
Natasha Romanoff: He killed eighty people in two days.
Thor: He's adopted.
"I have unfinished business with Loki."



Hulk/Bruce Banner
Everyone thought that re-casting Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and not have Edward Norton reprise his role was  a bad idea but Ruffalo delivered. He was perfect as Banne, it would be hard to imagine Norton delivering his lines as good as Ruffalo. No disrespect to Norton, who was a good Bruce Banner, Ruffalo nailed it perfectly. He was humorous when he needed to be and played off Robert Downy Jr. really well. The CGI Hulk was "Incredible!" He has to be the most realistic CGI character ever in a film. The Hulk actually looked like Mark Ruffalo and looked like the Comic Book version. He was bigger and bulkier like he should be. The way he interacted with other characters looked very real. Some say that "Hulk stole the show", while I would say that he was awesome smashing things, but the characters all had about the same amount of screen time. Many of the funniest scenes in the movie was when confronted Loki and grabs him and "SMASHED!" That was hilarious! Also when Hulk got revenge on Thor by punching him during the battle, was classic.

Quotes: "That's my secret, Cap, I'm always angry."
"Puny god."
"Hulk Smash!"
"I got low. I didn't see an end so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out."
"That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry."
"[upon Natasha drawing her gun at his outburst] I'm sorry, that was mean. I just wanted to see what you'd do. How about we find another way in which you don't use that and the other guy doesn't make a mess?"


Who was your favorite character in The Avengers? Please comment below. And check back here tomorrow for Part 2 of The Avengers Character Analysis.

Note: Due to an over load of spam comments on this post, I have disabled comments on this post but please comment on any of my other posts.

If you want to contact us or have any question please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

9 comments:

  1. (riding in a olane during a thunderstorm)
    IM/Cap: What's the matter? Scared of a little lightning?
    Loki: I'm not particularly fond of what follows.
    (enter Thor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Avenger is definitely Captain America, but I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool, I love character analysis'. My favorite Avenger is probably Thor, though I also like Black Widow, Captain America, Iron Man, The Hulk, Hawkeye, and well, I like everyone, actually. I agree, Ruffalo was really good as Bruce Banner; before seeing The Avengers, I never really liked the Hulk but after seeing how well he pulled off the role, I really like his character now(I also loved it when he smashed Loki, it was so funny).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! I agree completely! Everyone delivered amazing performances and they all had great lines.

    I agree also, that I wish I hadn't known Iron Man 3 was coming out when I saw it because I totally did loose a lot of tension during the end. I was like, "Oh, wait, for course he survives, Iron Man 3 is next!" Darn. It was still pretty epic though.

    Anyway, your post was super good!!!!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Ma'am, there's only one God, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."
    That was my absolute favourite line from the entire movie its one of those quotes which really was cool though there were a lot of other cool lines as well.
    Captain America was my favourite character from the Avengers because you actually get to see more of what he does and how he reacts to things.
    I was really disappointed though that there wasn't that much of Thor talking it it though he is more of a quiet guy. I thought it was good that it had Coulson show Thor where Jane was.
    Stark I was really expecting to hate but I didn't. I haven't seen the Iron man movies but Mum really didn't like him so I expected not to either. But he was humorous though he isn't my favourite.
    Banner wasn't that great I found him a bit scary as the Hulk but that's just me.
    In short Avengers was awesome!
    I soooooooooooooooo hope they do a second.
    By the way, did you like it how Cap doesn't get some of the slang and than he says "I got that!" Made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @JT/King Valun: Epic entrance. :D

    @Helen: He is my favorite also.

    @Shena Tokala: Thanks. :D I liked everyone too. And I am glad you liked Hulk.

    @Jamie: Thanks! :D Yeah, they should have keep the knowledge of the sequels hinden.

    @Vellvin: That was my favorite line as welll. :D Glad you liked Cap in The Avengers more. And I agree, Thor did not have enoungh lines although I loved the scene betweem him and Loki.
    It seems that there are a good many Iron Man haters but I am glad you did like him in the movie.
    The sequel to The Avengers is already in the works. :)
    Yes I did like how Cap had to adjust to modern times to understand references. It was one of my favorite parts about his character in The Avengers. Also thanks for the long comment. :D

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED Mark as Bruce! He was so perfect!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I forgot. :P My fave is Black Widow. XDD

    ReplyDelete
  9. These aге in fact impressiѵe ideas in concеrning bloggіng.
    You have tоuched some gοod things
    here. Any waу keep up wrіnting.

    Here is my ωebpage - anime Avatars for facebook
    My site > google satellite pictures

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...