SEARCH MY BLOG

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Batman in Film.

There have been many movie adaptations of Batman throughout the years and this is a look at his many movies, be it live-action or animation. Also I will not be including the 1940s movie serials, however I will include the many direct-to-DVD/VHS/Blu-Ray movies that were released. This is in roughly chronological order. For some of the movies I do not have a lot say because I have not seen every direct-to-DVD movie or I have not seen them recently enough to give an accurate opinion so I have posted a link to Ian Drury at Banon's Roar!'s reviews of the movies he has reviewed.




Batman 1966
Based on the ridiclously campy 60s Batman TV series starting Adam West. This is more of a parody than a movie, I have not watched this since I was a little kid. Although there are still a few who actually like this movie and the old series, it is not a good movie but still better than "Batman and Robin".


Batman (1989)
With Tim Burton movies you either love them or hate them and I cannot stand them, this is his only movie that I find watchable. The movie is decent and it started a new wave of comic book movies but I would not really recommend watching it. This and the other 90s Batman movies were the first comic book movies I watched when I was a kid but I do not like them now. There are still some fan of the movie who like it because of their sentimental attachment or that they are Tim Burton fan.


Batman Returns (1992)
There are many differing opinion of Batman Returns, Tim Burton fans really like it because it is basically a Tim Burton fantasy movie with the same name as Batman characters. For some odd reason some character that have no real powers in the comics are given powers of some kind. For example Catwoman is thrown out a window is bitten by ramdom cats in a alley and then he she has nine lives for no reason at all. If you are a fan of the movie you need to watch this video below were it deconstructs and analyze it.




Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
As you have hopefully read in my review for Mask of the Phantasm yesterday, this is a phenomenal movie. Not only is it the best animated movie ever created, it is my second favorite Batman movie after The Dark Knight. Unfortunately, Mask of the Phantasm did not perform well at the box office because of poor marketing but this is a true classic.


Batman Forever (1995)
This is was one of my little borther's favorite movies when he was like 4 or 5 years old, although we both hate it now. This was Joel Schumacher's first Batman and unfortunately not his last. This a terrible movie and it is sometimes hard to watch but this is not the worst the Batman franchise would reach.



Batman and Robin (1997)
Batman and Robin, also known as the Batman: The Death of a Franchise. OK, here we go with one of the worst comic book movies ever made, right down there with Catwoman. It is hard to describe how truly awful this movie is, it is even a stretch to call this a movie. Joel Schumacher has even apologized for how bad the movie was. George Clooney has even refuned fans that he was meet for the ticket price if they watched the movie in theaters.

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero (1998)
It has been a very long time since I have seen it but this is generally considered a good spin-off of the Batman: The Animated Series.





Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was a direct-to-VHS/DVD based on the futuristic Batman Beyond TV series. Although it has been a years since I have seen Return of the Joker, it considered one of the best direct-to-DVD animated movies.


Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003)
Another spin-off of from the Batman: The Animated Series team. The mystery is good and it on par with some of the other Batman animated movies.


The Batman vs. Dracula (2005)
Based off the some what disappointing "The Batman" TV series, pits Batman vs. Dracula and from what I remember it was OK.



Batman Begins (2005)
The beginning of the Christopher Nolan Batman movies. This revived the Batman franchise and is still one of the best Batman adaptations. More on Batman Begins in my review Wedsday.




Justice League: The New Frontier (2008)
One of the first DC direct-to-DVD movies not to be in the same continuity as Batman: The Animated Series and it is one of first of DC in a new wave of good quality PG-13 animated movies. Although I have not seen it since 2008, it was an overall good movie.


Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
Gotham Knight is a series of short films set between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight but it is unofficially connected to the Nolan films.


The Dark Knight (2008)
Considered by many to the quote "Best Comic Book Movie of All-Time" and until the Avengers it was the highest grossing Comic Book movie. I will have more detail about The Dark Knight my review Thursday.


Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)
Another another one of DC PG-13 animated movies featuring Batman and Superman. I have not seen this one yet but the critical reviews are mostly positive.



Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)
Another Justice League animated movie, I have yet to see either.



Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010)
Batman: Under the Red Hood, is generally considered one of the Batman's best animated films after The Mask of the Phantasm. Although Kevin Conroy does not reprise his role as Batman un this movie.



Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010)
The sequel to Superman/Batman: Public Enemies focusing more on Supergirl than just Superman and Batman.




Batman: Year One (2011)
Based on the Frank Miller graphic novel of the same, Batman Year One was highly anticipated but fell short with less than steller reviews like the previous DC animated movies. 


Justice League: Doom
 Loosely based on Mark Waid's JLA story arc, "JLA: Tower of Babel", Justice League: Doom is yet another one of DC's animated movies featuring The Dark Knight himself.



The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
3 days until The Dark Knight Rises and the hype is building. From one of the early reviews by IGN.com, it does not live up to The Dark Knight but it still recivied a rating of 9.0/10.


If you want to contact us or have any question please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list and thought! I've seen quite a few of the animated Batman movies, my favorite being Under The Red Hood with Mask Of The Phantasm coming in at a close second. The only live action Batman movies I've seen are Nolan's, The Dark Knight ranking in my top five favorite movies and I have a feeling that The Dark Knight Rises is headed that way too. My brother and I both think that it will surpass The Dark Knight, which means it's going to be out-of-this-world epic.:)

    (We actually just bought the soundtrack for Rises last night. If you end up listening to it... prepare to be wowed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my parents are familiar the 1989 Batman movie, which, apparently, they both really liked (neither seem familiar with Batman Begins, which is the one I want to watch.)

    I didn't know there were so many Batman movies! Goodness, he really is popular! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jake P.: I really do need to see Under the Red Hood sometime soon. I really that type of animation.
    Although The Dark Knight does not rank in my Top 5, it does rank in my Top 20. I also think that TDKR will be better despite the reviews.
    Can't wait to hear the soundtrack after I watch the movie! :D

    @Jamie: The 1989 was good for its time because it was really the only superhero since Superman but it really does not hold up well enough today. I hope you will get to see Batman Begins in time. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...