SEARCH MY BLOG

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Doctor Who Season 7 Review: Part 2.

Here is the continuation of my Doctor Who Season 7 Review, click here to read part 1.

The Bells of Saint John: The actual start to second half of the season re-introducing Clara again because of what happened in the previous episode. The Bells of Saint John was pure fun! Nonstop adventure with Matt Smith at his wacky best.
Rating: 9.7/10

The Rings of Akhaten: While not bad compared to most shows on television, The Rings of Akhaten might just be the worst Matt Smith episodes of his run as the Doctor. Why so much singing gibberish! However, the Doctor speech was excellent at the end and Clara had some more development.
Rating: 6.2/10

Cold War: Basically this episode was Alien mixed with The Hunt for Red October and it worked out brilliantly. Cold War had a perfect combination of suspense and humor, plus there were some good fun with the TARDIS' language translator.
Rating: 9.5/10

Hide: Considering that I have an interest in both real paranormal investigation and the hilarious Ghostbusters movie, I loved this blast of creepy fun. We learn more about some "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff."
Rating: 9.7/10

Journey to the Center of the TARDIS: This is one of the few times where we get a chance to see the inside of the TARDIS, which could have been disappointing, yet it was very satisfying. *Spoiler* When first watching it, the ending making everything in the episode never actually happen was kind of disappointing, until Clara remembered during "The Name of the Doctor". So in the end, the episode was better in retrospect. *End Spoiler*
Rating: 9.4/10

The Crimson Horror: Neither the best nor worst of the season, The Crimson Horror was a solid entry focusing on Vastra and Jenny but so much Vastra this season? Doesn't the present of humanoid lizard lady kind of screw up time? Again, Strax was great, one of the best background characters of the series. Some of the episode was a little too corny for my taste compared to other episodes, but it had its moments.
Rating: 8.3/10

Nightmare in Silver: *Minor Spoiler* Except for the "Easy Button" ending, *End Spoiler* the episode was quite fun and entertaining. Unfortunately the presence of child actors almost always make thing worse, even if they were not nearly as bad as I originally expected. It was good Warwick Davis is another role though and Clara really had a chance to shine.
Rating: 9.3/10

The Name of the Doctor: To sum up the episode up in two word *Mind Blown*. Matt Smith had his A-game on for the episode and Jenna-Louise Coleman was so amazing. A perfect and satisfying conclusion to the mystery of the "Impossible Girl", "The Name of the Doctor" did just about everything right for a thrilling finale, even if it did leave me with more questions than answers.
Rating: 9.9/10

*Major Spoilers* The scene where Clara enters the Doctor's time-stream gives me chills every time, one of the best moments in Doctor Who history. *End Spoiler*




Clara Oswin Oswald: The Impossible Girl
 
 
 Despite my original skepticism, I absolutely adored Clara! How can she be so perfect! At first I was thinking "How could Amy and Rory ever be replaced, they were the best" but Clara basically made me forget they were ever gone. By the "Cold War" episode I was beginning to think she might already one of the best companions the Doctor has had and by the finale she taken the number one spot as my favorite companion. She is spunky and clever and had dynamite chemistry with the Doctor. I love her accent and wit. Everything about her character is just so well done, hopefully she will stay on for the duration of Matt Smith's run as the Doctor, as of now, I cannot get enough of her. On an irrational note, Clara may be the most attractive companion yet. 
"The soufflé isn't the soufflé, the soufflé is the recipe."

 
Soundtrack: 10/10- Hands down Doctor Who has the best soundtrack on television! The many variations of the "I am the Doctor Who" were incredible, one of my all-time favorite themes in any of its incarnations. "Clara's Theme" was positively beautiful, perfectly capturing the character's innocence and other traits.

Overall: 9.7/10- Not the best Doctor Who season, but it was back to more of the classic fun adventure that made Doctor Who so entertaining to watch.

Closing comments: Season 7 reminds yet again why Doctor Who is the best show on television.

Have you seen Season 7? Do you plan to watch it soon? What did you think of Clara? Please comment below.
 
If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! :D I've heard a lot of good things about this season, and the new companion Clara(who I've been told was the perfect companion for 11). Definitely looking forward to watching it, especially the last episode which I hear is great :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoilers!

    When I watched Asylum of the Daleks, Oswin became my favorite one episode character, and I was worried I wouldn't like the new companion as much as Oswin, but I'm glad they did it the way they did, and Clara Oswald has indeed become one of my favorite companions!
    I loved this season, and I cannot wait until November.
    Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see this so I can get an opinion on Clara. :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shena Tokala: Thank you! :D Can't wait to here what you think of the season when you watch it. :)

    @T.M. Hall: Oswin was not my favorite when first saw her, but I really need to re-watch that episode since I love Clara now. Why does November has to be so far away.

    @Jamie: Can't wait to here your thoughts on her. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clara is one of my favorite companions too!!! :D She's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...