SEARCH MY BLOG

Monday, June 16, 2014

DC's Upcoming Movies Revealed

According to reporter Nikki Finke, DC's upcoming movies have been revealed, and there are a few major surprises. We already knew about Batman v Superman in May of 2016, but it now appears that DC is going to go release a Shazam movie and the Sandman movie that Joseph Gordon Levitt has been working on for a while will be coming out that December, as well as a Wonder Woman movie after the Justice League. For one, DC is obviously copying Marvel's strategy, which is not a bad thing since Marvel has essentially perfected the mega-movie-franchise formula. Of course, the lineup is not official, but reports suggest that DC might announce this during Comic-Con. The biggest positive with this entire situation is that so many movies in production, hopefully David Goyer and Zack Sndyer will have a lesser impact on the Justice League spinoffs. 


May 2016 – Batman v Superman

July 2016 – Shazam
Shazam is about an orphan boy named Billy Batson, who gains the power to turn into Captain Marvel with powers like super strength, speed, and other powers inspired by Greek mythology. Due to the similarity in name with Marvel's Captain Marvel, the character's name has recently been changed to “Shazam!” which is the word that Billy shouts when he wants to change into his hero form. Also, Captain Marvel/Shazam was the first superhero to get his own theatrical film, even before Superman. Of the upcoming movies, Shamaz seems like the oddest one since it is about a kid, which kind of clashes with DC's supposedly "dark and gritty" tone. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is said to be attached to play the villain Black Adam. My concern other than the fact that a child or young teen will star in the film, is that Shazam's power set is essentially the same as Superman and Black Adam is basically General Zod, which make for another snooze fest of ho hum action set pieces that are way too reminiscent of “Meh of Steel.”

Dec 2016 – The Sandman
The Sandman (no relation to Marvel's character) is a popular comic book series by Neil Gaiman that is more intellectual dark fantasy than superhero. Unlike the rest of the films in production, The Sandman comics are published by Vertigo Comics, which is owned by DC and is used to publish the more mature "R" rated titles like Constantine. While not confirmed, I assume the film will not be set in the main DC universe since the character is a standalone feature as far as I am aware of in the comics. Joseph Gordon Levitt is set to direct, which gives me hope since he is a great actor. 

May 2017 – Justice League


July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Of the upcoming movies, I am most concerned about Wonder Woman. While having the character finally receive her own movie is great in concept, considering how poorly DC has done thus far, we will have to wait and see what will happen. Considering Zack Sndyer is awful at making movies with movies with decent female leads like the horribly dull Lois Lane or Silk Spectre's role being limited in Watchman, I think she is not going to be looking so good coming out of Justice League in terms of character development. However, with the right talent behind the camera, maybe the movie won't suck. 

Dec 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
As expected, the likelihood of TV's Flash and Green Arrow making to the big screen is looking ever smaller with a Flash and Green Lantern team-up movie in the works. Honestly, I am not sure what to think of this until I see more of their movies, but it is certainly different. Hopefully the John Stewart version of Green Lantern will be the one featured in the DC universe since the terrible Green Lantern movie already ruined the original Hal Jordan Green Lantern.

May 2018 – Man of Steel 2
To my surprise, a real Man of Steel is actually in the works, even if it is five years after the original. Maybe after hearing all of the fan outcry for Superman being cheated of a true sequel, DC decided to give him one years later. Can't say I am excited about it, but it is four years away.

That's it for DC's upcoming lineup. What do you think? Are you the slightest bit interested in anything DC is doing right now? Please comment below and let me know.

One last thing, this was too hilarious not to post! And please check back tomorrow for the continuation of my Top 100 Movies List.



If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

16 comments:

  1. A Wonder Woman movie....I really hope they do this one right(or at least, get a good actor who can take bad material and make it good, if that's the case), since a major superhero movie with a female lead is something I really want to see done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the later Fast and Furious Franchise you will love Wonder Women.

      Delete
    2. @Shena: Same here, I hope they do it right, but I have my doubts. If it is done wrong and it fails, who knows what that could mean for possible future films! :/

      @Steve: I haven't seen those movies yet, but I do know that the actress from them is playing Wonder Woman.

      -James

      Delete
  2. Well things do look a tiny bit better with DC lately, but still everything looks rather unintresting, and I totally agree with you about Man of steel being Meh of steel, the first time I watched it I thought it was great but the second time around alot of it's flaws were revealed, one of the worst parts was the end, I mean how he killed Zod was so lame, they have this massive "EPIC" battle across the city and it end's with him breaking Zods neck I mean come on. but it was kind of ironic because Christopher reeve broke His neck. anyways I still have little hope for DC's copy cat future though I don't blame them for trying. loved the pic a the bottom its hillarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My opinion exactly. I thought Man of Steel was great the first time, but after thinking about it more and my second viewing, it turned into the Meh of Steel. I also agree with Zod's death, lame!

      -James

      Delete
  3. My impression of all of this is that they are trying way too hard. The possibilities of the movies themselves excite me, but they just seem very very forced. I get that DC is trying to capitalize on the superhero phenomenon right now, and as a business strategy, it works. But ultimately any movie is judged by whether it is actually, well...a GOOD movie. I feel like their attempt to force all of this may result in that not being the case.

    I remain cautiously optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I want to see these properties to be adapted, but I don't know if it is going to work out that well, except for Sandman maybe.

      -James

      Delete
  4. I can't understand why they didn't have Man of Steel 2 THEN Batman v. Superman. As for Wonder Woman, having seen the unaired pilot, I can't imagine them doing things WORSE than they did there.

    So far, nothing on this list really grabs me as being worth seeing. What can I say, "the thrill is gone"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One word explains everything: MONEY! A lot of people lost faith in DC after Man of Steel disappointed, so adding Batman ensures that the casual audience will go watch it. Haven't seen that Wonder Woman pilot, but from the clips I have seen, I am sure it was horrible.

      -James

      Delete
  5. well... we all knew it was going to be like this, including the accelerated schedule, which actually doesn't look so bad when you pause to remember that Marvel's linked universe didn't really take off until 2008 w/ IM1, only four years before the big team-up. What makes this a dumb strategy is introducing everyone in the same movie, which is also first in the expansion plans, really. There's plenty of silly decisions here, but on second thought, doing a bunch of films in four years, aka following Marvel's lead, isn't one of them, assuming the market for superhero films hasn't collapsed by then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Introducing all of the characters in Justice League and BVS is really dumb. It is difficult enough to make such a large team of characters work even with backstory from previous films, but without it, I don't see the movie working out that well.

      -James

      Delete
  6. Come on, you can't be serious. There's no word on the new Green Lantern movie. What ever happened when Ryan Reynolds was supposed to sign in his character in Justice League. He was good in the movie when he's one of the two actors that redeems the character's image.

    That is the silliest question I ever heard, I hope he like to be the character again on the reboot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reynolds does not want to do another superhero movie, at least that is what he has said. I am still hoping for John Stewart Green Lantern.

      -James

      Delete
  7. One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...