SEARCH MY BLOG

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Six Christmas Movies

Merry Christmas everyone! Christmas is upon us yet again, and as always, it is time to discuss my favorite Christmas movies. Unlike my previous Christmas movie posts, this is not a list, but rather several Christmas themed movies that are worth your time. Also, with the exception of a couple of movies, I plan to keep my thoughts on each movie short and concise, because I have already said plenty about each film in the past and because this is not a list. Also, while some of these movies are true Christmas movies, others have more of a Christmas setting.

It's a Wonderful Life
It's a Wonderful Life is the quintessential Christmas film; it there more that needs to be said?

Elf
As far as true Christmas films, Elf is my personal favorite. I will watch it at least once every other Christmas.

Home Alone
Of all the films on this post, Home Alone is the one that I have seen the most. From a critically standpoint, Home Alone might not a "great" film, but as a movie with a lot of personal nostalgia attached to it, I enjoy it.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Another hilarious Christmas film, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is my favorite entry in the Vacation series, and one of favorite comedies in general.

Die Hard
As it has been argued for many years, Die Hard is not exactly a Christmas movie since you can watch outside of the Christmas season, yet it is set on Christmas and it has Christmas music, it can still be argued as a Christmas film. Regardless of what you think about the movie, it is a classic action movie and one of my favorites.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is a sequel film to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya television series, which is also highly recommended. Like Die Hard, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya does not center on Christmas, but rather taking place in the winter around Christmas, like. Of all the films on this list, The Disappearance is easily my favorite film; it is a near perfect mystery character drama. If you missed my review of The Disappearance, you can click here to read it. Another anime Christmas film that people often list is Tokyo Godfathers. 

What Christmas films are your favorites? Do you like any of the ones that I have listed? Please comment and let me know, and check back tomorrow for more Christmas content.

If you want to contact us or have any questions please send an e-mail to johnstarslayer@gmail.com.

13 comments:

  1. Don't follow anime but have seen all the others. Love Die Hard and agree it counts as a Crimbo movie! I'd swap National Lampoon for Bad Santa though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent list. Every Christmas I review a Christmas movie, and several on your list will be reviewed in future years (God willing). Never heard of Disappearance. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be interested to see what you plan to review today. As for the Disappearance, you need to watch the series before the film though.

      -James

      Delete
  3. Early Merry Christmas! :) Great list! :) I also like Home Alone, since I watched it as a kid and thought it was really funny. I haven't seen "It's a Wonderful Life" but I rented it and I plan on watching it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A early Merry Christmas to you too! Glad to see someone who watched Hone Alone as a kid! And I hope you like "It's a Wonderful Life" when you watch it. :)

      -James

      Delete
  4. It's a Wonderful Life!!!!! My doggie Clarence is named after the angel because that's my neighbor's favorite movie!

    I wish I'd seen Elf when I was younger--by the time I saw it last year it almost felt too silly, lol!

    I still haven't seen Home Alone....

    I actually haven't seen Vacation either...

    DIE HARD!!!!!!!!!! "Ho. Ho. Ho."

    And I haven't gotten far enough in the series to see Disappearence yet (actually Netflix has messed up my plans by announcing Fullmetal is going to be removed on the 15th of Jan. So. I'm kinda "Full Speed!" on that one right now.)

    As you already know, my favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story. Easily one of my favorite comedies of all time; extremely quotable and full of dry humor. Best Christmas movie ever!

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's funny about the dog's name. :)

      Nothing motivates faster watching than a deadline! lol But I am really glad that you are watching it now!

      -James

      Delete
  5. I can't stand the people that ask what your favorite Christmas movie is, then wait for you to ask them and then answer 'Die Hard' and think they are super clever. Just setting you up and thinking they are so smart, drives me crazy ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really a masterpiece and should be part of your list. Sound of Music. A Christmas Story I would also add.
    The Dissaperance I have watched and loved but feel a big LOST vibe comming.
    BTW in my year end review your blog gets a nod. Merry Christmas and a Happy Festivis James and Company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen a A Christmas Story, but I keep hearing that is a classic.
      Which Disappearance are you saying that you have seen?
      Thanks I will go check that out!

      -James

      Delete
  7. I love "It's a Wonderful Life," and "Die Hard" is always fun. My favorite Christmas movie is "White Christmas," followed by "We're No Angels" (the original with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, and Aldo Ray, NOT the remake) and "While You Were Sleeping," though honestly I shelve those both with the comedies and not the Christmas movies. I also love the first "Santa Clause" movie.

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...