SEARCH MY BLOG

Monday, April 27, 2015

Coming Soon: May 2015

Dear Lord...what a busy, busy month this is. Legitimately one of the busiest I have ever seen. Before we get into May, let's briefly recap what April had to offer:

Furious 7: While not the best or my favorite in the franchise, it was a ton of fun, featured some inventive action, and provided a perfect tribute to late star, Paul Walker. (Rath's Review Score: 8.5/10)
The Longest Ride: I predicted a dud and a dud it was. Critics and audiences pretty much both ignored it.
Ex Machina: A superb analysis and thriller surrounding AI. It's a technical marvel and very nearly a masterpiece. (RRS: 9.5/10)
Child 44: Surprisingly not very good according to critics, despite the cast. Poor Russian accents and a meandering plot seem to be to blame for the boring WWII "thriller".
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2: It was a sequel that no one asked for and it was ripped to shreds by critics (most likely a little overly so). Either way, this is one best caught on TV.
Unfriended: While not as scary as I would have liked, it was definitely a unique experience at the theater and opens the door for a lot of potential (RRS: 7/10)
The Age of Adaline: It's romance is nothing to write home about, but the human drama is poignant. Oh and Blake Lively is gorgeous. (RRS: 7.5/10)

Most Disappointing: None
Most Surprising: Unfriended
Worst Movie: Probably Paul Blart -- though I didn't see it
Best Movie: Ex Machina

Now let's get into a packed (PACKED, you hear me?) month of May. Seriously it's ridiculous. Remember to click movie titles for the trailer!


Why It's Worth Seeing: It's the sequel to the 3rd biggest movie of all time, a film that many hold in regard as a comic book classic, and Marvel is at a point right now where they seemingly can do no wrong (see their most recent Netflix adventure, Daredevil for further proof). AOU won't be anything less than "great".
What Could Go Wrong: I worry that this is a stop-gap (read: filler) film to get us to the beginning of the end with Civil War next year. Ultron is an enemy that really comes from no where and I'm curious to see if this film plays into the bigger picture at all. The last time Marvel had a filler film, it was Iron Man 2, which is arguably their weakest film to date.


Why It's Worth Seeing: The trailers seem funny enough and the comedy team behind the film have a good track record. Vergara and Witherspoon also seem to have a fun chemistry together.
What Could Go Wrong: Vergara is best in small doses sometimes and the film looks awfully predictable/structured. Hopefully there is a funny twist somewhere in there.


Why It's Worth Seeing: The premise is highly interesting; it's about a father trying to save his daughter as she slowly transforms into a zombie. It sounds wacky but it's actually being displayed as a very intense dramatic character piece with Arnold himself providing what seem like some outstanding acting chops.
What Could Go Wrong: Arnold's casting could be a smokescreen for a story that isn't all that interesting or well constructed. In other words, if they got an actor's actor in the role...would anyone be paying attention?


Why It's Worth Seeing: The trailers have been some of the best I've ever seen and the action looks intense, non-stop, unique...just every way that action can be praised. Tom Hardy looks awesome as Max and I've got a good feeling about this one (and I know I'm not alone).
What Could Go Wrong: I found the first Mad Max to be terrible, the second one to be highly improved, but still a tad rough, and I didn't see the third one. The question remains: will the decades of separation helped cure some of the pitfalls of the earlier films?


Why It's Worth Seeing: The first was a HUGE surprise hit that I fell in love with (as did many other guys and girls). It was funny, had some great musical numbers, featured some hot newcomers, and just had a lot of "right" going for it. The second looks to be more of the same and that is aca-awesome.
What Could Go Wrong: It could fall into lazy sequel-itis territory which would mean lame music, bad jokes, and a cast full of people who want to move on. I don't see that being the case here though.

Why It's Worth Seeing: Horror remakes have a lot going against them. This film looks to have some genuinely creepy moments but...
What Could Go Wrong: On top of all the usual horror suspects, you're retelling a story that people know the general ending to. There has already been some stiff competition this year (It Follows, Unfriended), so I'm not sure a useless remake will do much to stand out above the rest. Especially in this crowded month.


Why It's Worth Seeing: The trailers are great, Brad Bird is directing (most recently responsible for the phenomenal Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol), and the story is pretty much completely shrouded in secrecy. Look for this to be the surprise hit of the year.
What Could Go Wrong: Not much to be honest. Unless the movie's ending falters, I don't see this one being having any issues.


Why It's Worth Seeing: In a month full of superheroes, action, and sci-fi, a little human dramedy will feel like a breath of fresh air. The initial trailer for this one is great and it looks to have an amazing cast with a lively setting in Hawaii.
What Could Go Wrong: If it ends up being more rom-com than dramedy I'm not sure I'll be so eager to see it. And if it has a poor script, it could always buckle under the weight of that issue too.


Why It's Worth Seeing: It's been a decent amount of time since we've had a good disaster flick. I have a pretty good feeling about San Andreas, starring Dwayne Johnson, based on the tone of the trailers. It looks like it might try to take a dark approach to the mayhem.
What Could Go Wrong: Often these films are way too long and the endings are incredibly predictable. I'm hoping this film tries something different with the formula.


Must See (in order...which was much easier said than done this month): Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mad Max: Fury Road, Pitch Perfect 2, Tomorrowland, Aloha, San Andreas
On My Radar: Hot Pursuit, Maggie
Predicted Duds: Poltergeist


I told you this month was crazy! I feel like I'll be in the theater almost twice every weekend! At least I'll get good use out of my MoviePass :-) As always, I'd be really appreciative if you came and followed me through Blogger at RATH'S REVIEWS and like me on Facebook HERE! I follow-for-follow 100%. Thanks again!   

Hey, James the Reviewer here, be sure to back here tomorrow for the beginning of my Top 10 Marvel movies list.

6 comments:

  1. Great post. Loving both of your blogs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got so caught up in Age of Ultron I forgot there are other movies coming out. Tomorrowland looks fun, I've been considering going to that one every time I see the trailer. I enjoy fun movies and am hoping it turns out to be one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Tomorrowland will be something special. Brad Bird as director is a fantastic reason why

      Delete
  3. I will probably be too busy watching Age of Ultron over and over, but Tomorrowland does look kind of intriguing. If a friend sees and recommends it, I might go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Jupiter Ascending and it was much better than Cloud Atlas. It was a fantastic building where the lobby was very messy.

    ReplyDelete

One rule: No strong profanity. If you want to link to one of your posts, please do; I am always interested in other reviews and such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...